Position Title: VP, Communications & Partnerships
Department: Communications & Partnerships
Reports to: President & CEO
The VP, Communications & Partnership is responsible for boldly promoting Make-A-Wish Greater LA while clearly communicating our impact and partnership needs in LA County. In this role, the VP is accountable for effective messaging of the MAW mission while heightening engagement with target audiences in the LA community. Essential to the position is the ability to apply strategic marketing to build and/or strengthen partnerships within business, media, civic, medical and social communities through broad market communications and B2B relationships, expressly to benefit the LA chapter and forward the MAWGLA mission. Success in this role will be measured by: a) metrics of effectiveness in reaching and engaging target audiences, and b) the return on marketing and promotional investments—as measured by financial, in-kind support, advocacy and community engagement.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Define and manage overall messages and themes of the chapter, maintaining “one voice” across all efforts with consistent messaging and presentation of our goals, activities and impact in the LA community.
- Identify and prioritize potential partners of MAWGLA (individuals and organizations) that can be instrumental in furthering the Chapter’s mission in LA—as donors, influencers, in-kind providers, advocates, volunteer sources and communications partners. Develop strategy, annual roadmap and goals for pursuing priority partners.
- In partnership with Development, Community Engagement and Programs, establish and execute a consistent, proactive partnership engagement plan, with detailed goals and target outcomes for each partner outreach and cultivation. These partners include:
- Media/news outlets
- Marketing/PR/advertising agencies
- Corporate and privately-held businesses with philanthropic potential
- LA County-based employers
- Resource groups within businesses
- Civic organizations
- Government officials
- Associations and affinity groups
- Medical and community service providers
- Schools, universities and alumni groups
- Other non-profit and social welfare providers
- Provide communications and marketing strategy and direction to Development, Medical Outreach, Community Engagement and Programs teams as they execute initiatives to pursue their goals and engage their target audiences/stakeholders.
- Optimize the marketing and engagement power of MAWGLA’s website (www.la.wish.org) and the chapter’s presence in social channels.
- In partnership with Social Media Coordinator, create digital content strategy that furthers MAWGLA media presence to inform, educate and engage LA County stakeholders.
- Oversee Social Media Coordinator and guide development of smart, effective donor and volunteer activation ideas as well as business cases for investment in and execution of ideas.
- Employ business analysis to quantify the potential of partnerships, business case for investing in partnership cultivation and specific execution plans for each to chapter CEO.
- Provide reporting and active referral of potential partners to Development, Medical Outreach, Engagement and Programs teams when a relevant partnership opportunity is identified.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong passion and commitment to Make-A-Wish Foundation’s mission. Beyond that core requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business or related field required.
- 7+ years of experience in public relations, B2B sales and/or marketing, lobbying or advocacy for a for-profit or non-profit institution with established presence and markets within LA County.
- Experience managing and working with media, marketing/PR agencies and creative production/design companies as well as execution of communications/promotional campaigns.
- Experience with social media tools for business, including those offered by the major platforms and third parties
- Familiarity with paid social media buying and optimization
- Demonstrated dedication with the ability to oversee projects from origin through execution and exercise independent judgment
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours when needed for MAWGLA events.
- Demonstrated skills to effectively gather data, evaluate options, make decisions, execute relentlessly and measure impact.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills
- Self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit with hands-on approach toward projects and roles.
Please submit your resume and cover letter (that includes your compensation expectations) to firstname.lastname@example.org