During this unprecedented time, Make-A-Wish remains focused on keeping our wish kids and families, community supporters, volunteers, and employees safe. Our team has made the following adjustments to ensure the health of our community while allowing us to continue safely delivering on our mission.
- All wish travel has been postponed until further notice, as well as wish child participation in all activities and events related to Make-A-Wish that do not allow for social distancing. We have been in contact with each of the impacted families and will grant each postponed wish as soon as we can safely proceed. We will continue to monitor guidance from national and international public health and government organizations, including the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and U.S. State Department, and are working closely with the National Make-A-Wish Medical Advisory Council, keeping the best interest of the children and families we serve at the center of all policy decisions we make. The health and safety of our wish families is our priority – and, as always, we remain committed to our vision of granting the wish of every eligible child fighting a critical illness. If you are a wish family and have concerns about your upcoming wish, please contact your Wish Coordinator, or call (310) 788-9474.
- We have rescheduled our May 9th Trailblaze Challenge to September 12th, 2020 to ensure the health and safety of our hikers and to allow them ample time to train and fundraise for our wish kids. For more information, please refer to our FAQs.
- We cancelled our April 4th Walk for Wishes to comply with guidelines on large gatherings. As we were only halfway to our fundraising goal, we are encouraging supporters to continue fundraising online to ensure we can reach wish kids as soon as possible.
- We have requested volunteers forego meeting with wish families directly and to utilize virtual Wish Discovery meetings whenever possible. We are also working on ways to deliver non-travel wishes using virtual methods wherever possible.
- Our staff is working remotely to ensure the health and safety of our team. Although we may have kids, dogs, cats or partners very closely rooting us on, you can expect typical response times from us!
We are so grateful for the support and resilience of our community in Los Angeles. Please stay safe!
On average, Make-A-Wish America grants more than 15,800 wishes per year, and 77 percent of these wishes involve air travel. We estimate more than 30 wishes per day are being delayed nationwide by COVID-19 related postponements. If you have a question or would like to help during this difficult time, please call us at (310) 788-9474.